May 8, 2013

Clean Living

Guess what? I'm starting a new series and I am so very excited to share it with you!

The past couple of month's Stephen and I have been looking into "Clean Eating". Have you heard of it? Basically, its getting back to eating things as natural as they come. No processed foods - getting rid of anything that has GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms), plenty of fruits and veggies, 100% whole grains and whole wheat, locally raised (grass-fed) meats, limited beverages (basically water, all natural juices and milk), and real natural sweeteners like honey and 100% maple syrup.

Stephen and my good friends started months before we had and talked about the benefits of eating well. I hadn't really thought about it too much (besides already changing to Norwex cleaning products) until I started reading article after article about the junk processed ingredients  in food and personal care products. I started finding (not just off Google searches, hearsay or random sites but legit sites like www.ewg.com) how awful our foods and body products we use daily are for us.

For example, 

Did you know that there are over 80,000 chemical in the United States and only a tiny amount (around 200) have been tested for human safety? Seriously?! A lot of our products have been banned in other countries (Canada and Europe) for being toxic to people. Again, SERIOUSLY???? What on earth are we allowing to go in and on our bodies?

Or that your skin absorbs over 64% of what you place on it?
Think about it, if doctors prescribe patches that absorb medication into your skin, what about your lotion, shampoo, soap, deodorant, makeup and everything else - do you have a clue what are in those items? It's ok, most don't know or don't care. I was in the same boat until recently. 

Have you ever looked at the back of your food package and read the label of ingredients and not recognized 1 word? I recently picked up a box of Eggo Waffles out of curiosity to see what was in it. What I found, artificial dyes, flavors and a whole lot of other ingredients that are harmful to the body.

So, with that I decided I wanted to start a series about Clean Living. I feel very passionate about going clean and green in your household/family and hope to shed some light on the stuff you are using that can truly harm you. I also want to introduce you to foods and products we have started eating and using in our lives that have already made a major difference in how we feel and what it means to us for future health of us and children.


I would love you to join me weekly on ideas on how you are clean living in your home and family. So come link up starting next week on how you keep your home "clean". :)

Walking in the Light


5 comments:

  1. I love this idea and will defiantly be linking up with a few of my cleaning eating past post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited about this series!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this idea! Adam and I eat "clean" most of the time by default because of his food allergies. Although, I hadn't thought about your skin absorbing things (I mean I guess I had but just handn't really "soaked" it in -- sorry bad joke!). Can't wait to see what everyone shares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited about this series, it is such a great idea! Chris and I try to eat as clean as we can during the week, we are about 75/25 right now and I am trying to push for 90/10 then eventually full out clean. I would love to hear about what other people are doing and what products everyone is trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this! I have been doing the same thing. It's sad how used to processed junk we all are as Americans. I literally had NOTHING but produce and hormone free meats in my cart at the store this week, and the cashier actually pointed it out as odd. Wow. Here's to great changes!!

    Much love!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips